Behavioral Interview Questions for Nurses
What is a behavioral interview?
A behavioral interview is one that specifically addresses your work behavior, and how you would handle a particular situation. Essentially, it’s a way for employers to assess your past behavior and to predict how you might act in a similar situation in the future.
Most jobs contain at least a portion of behavioral interview questions, and for nursing, these questions are even more important. Since nurses will be interacting with patients on a daily basis, understanding how they function in common situations is critical to understanding their ability to thrive in a new position.
Looking for the most common behavioral interview questions for nurses?
We’ve compiled some of the most common questions, as shared by some of the healthcare industry’s leading hiring managers.
Common Behavioral Interview Questions for Nurses
- Share a time you were going to administer medicine to a patient. What did you do when you realized the dosage was incorrect?
- Describe a time you had to take immediate action with a patient. How did you determine the type of care required and what was the decision process like?
- What did your day-to-day schedule look like? Which of your duties made you feel the most confident? What about the least confident?
- Who was your favorite physician and why were they your favorite?
- What did you do when you had disagreements with a physician?
- What methods of communication did you use when getting in touch with physicians?
- Describe a difficult situation you’ve encountered with a coworker. How did you resolve the situation?
Education and certifications questions
- Share with us which certifications you have and which ones you want to obtain.
- What are your plans for continuing education?
General behavioral questions
- Share a time you made a critical mistake at work? How did you handle the situation and how was it resolved?
- Tell us about a time when you had to deal with a patient’s difficult family. What issues did you have and how did you resolve them?
- What is your favorite part of your job? Your least favorite?
Guide to Behavioral Interview Questions
If you’re interested in learning about opportunities to grow your career, browse open positions here.